Friday, October 30, 2009

SAT prompt: Materialism

Assignment: Should modern society be criticized for being materialistic? Plan and write an essay in which you develop your point of view on this issue. Support your position with reasoning and examples taken from your reading, studies, experience, or observations.

Being a son of technology-driven parents and living in a suburban place, I see a lot of materialism in our society. My mom, dad, and even my grandparents are very enthusiastic about the new Apple products and the new gadgets that will either make their lives more convenient or entertain them. I take part in utilizing these technologies as well. I have a computer in my room, and I have collected a lot of equipment in order to play and record music. I think that having and obtaining new possessions is a legitimate thing to make people happy, but I don’t think it could make people happy on it’s own.

I don’t think materialism itself is a bad thing at all; our world is rapidly changing with the increase of new products, especially with computer technology. People who live lives where they buy a lot of new products often fund the support for advances in technology. A lot of economic growth in the world is due to the designing, manufacturing, and distribution of these products, so it creates jobs for millions. And it is man’s nature to create, so I don’t see how anyone could criticize society for being too materialistic. Although this is true, people have been known to be irresponsible about spending more then they can afford, which is one of the reasons for the United State’s economic situation.

I am more driven to the products that enhance the things that I love to do. I see that some products are downright pointless, like the ones you see on infomercials; the ones that have very little engineering and just consist of a combination of two or three household products. I don’t care for these but I do think that there is value to having things. We don’t NEED anything, well besides food, water, shelter, and air, but naturally we WANT to improve our lives and ourselves; and in modern society we can see that products can help provide for this.


This took me 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment